[Catalyst] ORMs, CRUD, etc

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sat Apr 29 00:17:36 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 18:13:09 -0400, Guillermo Roditi wrote:
> Ok,
> I want to use an ORM. For what I want to do it would really be hugely
> beneficial. What is the difference between Rose::DB, DBIC, CDBI,
> DBIx::Schema, DBIC::Schema etc etc etc

DBIx::Class aka DBIC is an ORM with several "interfaces" - one of
these is DBIx::Class::Schema - the preferred one.

Class::DBI is DBIx::Class's inspirational ancestor, but has some
technical and/or project management limitations (Some will argue).

Rose::DB::Object is a high performance, but relatively not popular
ORM. I don't know it.

I don't know what DBIx::Schema is - I don't remember there being
such a thing - it's probably just a confusion.

> Which one is the most widely supported?  At this point I am not looking so
> much for the BEST as I am looking for something I can manage to get working.
> I mean I still can't manage to install some modules that demand me having
> PGP or GPG.

The most widely supported ORM is probably DBIx::Class - almost all
of the user base has migrated to it.

Why do you need PGP or GPG?

> I just want something to work. I am so tired of the hell that installing has
> been so far. I want to start coding already.

Isn't claco's solution good enough?

> Also. what about CRUS? whats the deal with INstant CRUD and Enzyme?  why is
> INstantCRUD not supported by the catalyst devs? is CRUD and MVC things that
> dont agree?

CRUD is a usage pattern for websites. It can be implemented with MVC
quite cleanly, in two styles:

	1. query the schema, generate code and templates
	2. reusable components

The first is easy for users to start with, but doesn't get along
well with schema changes, and the second is usually too complex to
be generic enough for everyone.

CRUD is not a good idea unless that's all your app will ever do - it
tends to tie you down unless you're careful.

The Catalyst perspective towards CRUD was usually to make it simple
enough and ugly enough to encourage the user of the CRUD generators
to edit things for their own app, since you really ought to change
the CRUD to work with your app and not vice versa.

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418