[Catalyst] Sigh. How do we get on this list?

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Wed Aug 9 17:50:52 CEST 2006

Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>
> Make it really really easy to get started for people who don't know much
> perl.

Here we get into a tricky debate about ease-of-use vs flexibility and
performance.  While not mutually exclusive, it is very difficult and sometimes
impossible to achieve both.  Rails is easy because, it would appear, it
sacrifices TMTOWTDI - they lost me right there.

The trick is to make the defaults work in an outrageously easy way, without
handicapping developers that know what they are doing and need something more
complex.  Not always possible and certainly not easy - but I find that Catalyst
and DBIx::Class are achieving this more with each new release.

> Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) Perl people
> generally mistrust marketing so Catalyst is unlikely to grow beyond the
> perl community. Some may say that's a good thing.

I'd rather have the design decisions for my chosen framework made in
consideration of the pragmatic than the marketing side of things.  Might not get
it in MacOS X and it might not get it at the top of ora.com, but it will make it
the best.  That's what matters.

(I do realize that marketing and public perception get you grants and backing
and funding and users, but those things can often be corrupting to original your
goals)

Thanks again to the teams working on these two great projects!

- Brian