[Catalyst] User Generated Content (project collaboration)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Aug 15 17:27:53 CEST 2006

John Napiorkowski wrote:
> Is this something like HTML::Widget but more so?  I'd be very interested to see what comes out of this since I've never been happy with HTML::Widget really, athough I guess there is a new release out very shortly.  The main reason I am still using it is because of the DBIx plugin for it that really cuts down on boilerplate code.

Part of it is, sort of. But with less typing since it can figure out field
types etc. from the DBIC classes and better skinnability because all the
rendering is still TT.

> I've been building a layout system based on subrequest where each page region is a subrequest to a portlet-like controller, that way I can do AJAX style bindings but also support full page refreshes if necessary.  I'd be happy to contribute the code if it was useful.

Heh, either the first or the second prototype late last year worked that way
(http://trout.me.uk/perl/KittenFarm/). Supporting partial refreshes
transparently is an important goal but I think there are better ways to do it;
we should discuss that when we get to the point of implementing it, I think.

> Anyway, seems like there is a lot of interest in the parent idea.  Maybe it's time for all of us to meetup on IRC something to discuss?  That way we can all get out our ideas and what we have already done and see if it fits together.

Yeah, I think it probably is. Can we leave it until next week or so though
please? The latest iteration of our stuff isn't really ready for general use
yet (and in a week it'll still probably entirely fail to have docs yet, but at
least the code will be decent)

> With catalyst growing so fast I definitely see the possibility of several teams reinventing several wheels, which would be a great shame.  --john

Sure, but I'm not desperately worried about this; I think there's room for
multiple solutions in this space since different ways are going to be better
for different projects.