[Catalyst] User Generated Content (project collaboration)

Graham Stead gstead at ieee.org
Tue Aug 15 17:46:10 CEST 2006

When I think of user generated content I think of CMS, a fairly crowded
software genre that already contains many mature open source and commercial
solutions.  I don't personally believe there are great gains to be made
here, although I could be wrong.

Looking at something a bit more unusual, an open (Catalyst) version of a
solution like Ning would be extremely interesting.  I would propose a
decentralized user base with federated user profiles (i.e., FOAF).

As a newbie developer, Ning is extremely attractive because it delivers most
of the glue you need -- including a community of users -- for social
applications.  You just deliver your unique idea and business logic.  Ning
removes many obstacles to building a serious site.

However, serious sites (especially those with commercial aspirations) will
shy away from Ning because Ning blurs many key issues: who owns the site
intellectual property; who owns the users?

Providing an open framework for these types of applications is something
Catalyst would be great at.

Just my random thought for the day,
-Graham