[Catalyst] Re: old versions of Catalyst on CPAN

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Sun Dec 3 10:57:21 GMT 2006

* Sebastian Riedel <sri-lists at oook.de> [2006-12-03 10:35]:
> why did you rename the core dist to Catalyst-Runtime in the
> first place? Just keeping the name Catalyst instead would have
> bypassed the cpan bug (which it obviously is) and saved you
> from a lot of trouble.

+1

* Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> [2006-12-03 11:10]:
> The question I have is why are you linking to Catalyst 3.00?

Why shouldn’t he? He’s a free man.

URIs should never turn 404, if it can at all be helped.

> The CPAN is about community, so it's better to respect the
> wishes of the community rather than your own personal tastes.

And you are speaking for this community?

> I personally consider having any version other than the latest
> available on CPAN a bug.

I don’t.

> I don't want to waste the mirror's space (these people are
> mirroring CPAN for free; I want it to be easy for them),

That’s a semi-legitimate concern. Although OTOH a sysadmin
concerned with stability is certain to want to have access to
older versions for at least some period of time, so there are
equally legitimate counterarguments.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to have search.cpan.org feed off
of BackPAN instead of the live CPAN. That would also help with
the distro tools (it can be very handy to diff between distro
versions without having to download them, f.ex.). That would
remove some reasons for keeping old distro versions on the CPAN.

> nor do I want to confuse people looking for the version they
> should be starting with.

Oh please.

Regards,