[Catalyst] Re: old versions of Catalyst on CPAN

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Dec 3 11:29:11 GMT 2006

On Sunday 03 December 2006 04:57, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Sebastian Riedel <sri-lists at oook.de> [2006-12-03 10:35]:
> > why did you rename the core dist to Catalyst-Runtime in the
> > first place? Just keeping the name Catalyst instead would have
> > bypassed the cpan bug (which it obviously is) and saved you
> > from a lot of trouble.
>
> +1

Well, I hadn't heard of Catalyst at that time, so I didn't have much say in
the matter.  That said, the reasoning for the name change, I believe, was
because there was a nice falling out between the people working on Catalyst,
you, and the PAUSE admins.  In order to ensure that the Catalyst Core Team
would continue to have the ability to update Catalyst without your
permission, which you refused to give, Catalyst had to be renamed (PAUSE
indexer technicality).  If you had just turned over permission immediately
and irrevocably, then a rename wouldn't have been necessary.

In fact, the View::TT maintainership was never given to the Core Team, and
that's why TT has had that annoying "Coldn't render ... " bug for so long.
We wanted to fix it, but we didn't have Your Holy Permission to do so.

Details:
http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2006-May/007250.html

Anyway, I find it interesting that you have to ask me why the rename happened.
It seems from that thread and other evidence that you were slightly involved.
Hopefully this description refreshes your memory.

> > nor do I want to confuse people looking for the version they
> > should be starting with.
>
> Oh please.

Sorry, I don't.  This is a common complaint on IRC and PM, so I'd like to
resolve it.  I know search.cpan isn't the ideal source of current
documentation, but lots of people use it for that, and I'd like to help them
if possible.  If that's not possible, I'd like to be able to explain why not.

This is about all I have to say on the matter.  Flamewars are a real drain on
the community, and I'm sorry that I have to subject them to this.  Hopefully
I'll be able to shut up and life will move on as normal.  :)  However, if
you'd like to tell the community that you're hurting them for personal
reasons (linking, revenge), then please do.  It'd be better if you just fixed
the fucking problem and moved on.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,