[Catalyst] [Task] Building a better JavaScript (AJAX) toolkit

Kevin Old kevinold at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:46:39 CET 2006

On 2/1/06, Sebastian Riedel <sri at oook.de> wrote:
> I personally am a big fan of the POE like MochiKit.
>
>      http://mochikit.org/
>
> All it needs is the eyecandy, you know, scriptaculous like stuff
> (effects, in-place-edit, slider, drag-drop, sortable...).

I second the following to MochiKit.  I've used prototype and
DojoToolkit in various projects since last April and just this morning
watched the screencast for Mochikit.  Wow.  I am impressed.
Everything about it just seemed to make sense.  I think it's a
fantastic base to build on.

But, at the same time I'd want the same "glue" between Perl and
Prototype/DojoToolkit instead of having to switch them all over to
Mochikit (which I still might do) in order to have the "perl side" of
things.

I agree with Marcus that we should write a true perlish wrapper around
whatever we choose.

Is the idea to pick one library and have it be "Catalyst Preferred (tm)"?

I think that would be wrong since we all prefer one over the others
and the point of Catalyst as a framework is the flexibility involved.

Why don't we take a poll and determine the 2 most popular.  We can
develop the "major concepts" we'd like to wrap around the libraries
and then try to stay true to them when developing.

Just suggestions.
Kevin
--
Kevin Old