[Catalyst] Oracle and models

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 01:32:15 CET 2006

On 2/8/06, Zach Thompson <cublai0wnz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started playing with Catalyst a few months ago and have been really
> impressed using it at home with FreeBSD/mysql.  I now am trying to get a
> small project going at work using Red Hat EH3/Oracle/perl5.8.7 and can't get
> either of the two major DB pardigms to work.
>
> It seems there really is no Oracle support using DBIx, correct? But when I
> try to create a model with CDBI I get "Couldn't require loader class
> "Class::DBI::Loader::Oracle", "Can't locate object method "set_sql" via
> package "Class::DBI::Oracle".  In fact, I get the same error testing with
> mysql from RH. Is there an issue using the helper scripts on RH or am I
> trying to use the script incorrectly, e.g. script/app_creat.pl model CDBI
> CDBI dsn:Oracle:tnsname user pass?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I can't speak to the Class::DBI support, or lack thereof, for Oracle.

For DBIx::Class, AFAICS, DBIx::Class itself supports Oracle for
manually-defined database classes, but there is no DBIx::Class::Loader
or Schema::Loader support for Oracle, simply because apparently nobody
has seen the need to write one yet.  And in turn Catalyst::Model::DBIC
relies on DBIx::Class::Loader, so there's your problem.

Worst case, I can drop a copy of Oracle on my home Gentoo box and work
out whatever magic we need to auto-Load a schema from Oracle, if
nobody else wants to do it.  But I probably won't get to it until ~
Sunday evening.

-- Brandon