[Catalyst] ServerDB patches for new auth/auth/session plugins

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Thu Feb 9 06:01:05 CET 2006

Dean Troyer wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In an attempt to understand the new
> authntication/authorization/session plugins, I've made some patches to
> the ServerDB example.  I' would appreciate it if someone could vet
> this and tell me where I may have misunderstood the intention of the
> new modules, or where things may be made simpler.  It seems to be
> working for me...
>
> I have avoided other updates that may also be desirable (changing
> 'req' to 'request', etc) and am willing to do these later if anyone
> thinks it would be useful.  One other change I did make was to use
> SQLite 3.x rather than 2.x.
>
> My primary reference for this was the Advent Calendar entry 14:
> http://catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2005/14.  If this looks reasonable,
> I'll take a stab at updating the cookbook.

Nice job, this is something I've been meaning to get around to for a long time,
but have never found the time.  In case you're looking for other things to hack
on in ServerDB, here is my todo list.  ServerDB used to be a good starting app
for new folks to look at, but lately it's a bit behind in the best-practices
department. :)

Convert to DBIx::Class.

5.5 features (index, etc)

Catalyst::Model::Search.  This is only in trunk at the moment, was intended to
be a generic search model that could replace the hacked-together Plucene support
in the current ServerDB.  Better yet: dump Plucene completely in favor of
something better, maybe Xapian.

Example test suite based on Test::WWW::Mechanize::Catalyst

Lose the Maypole stylesheets.

-Andy