[Catalyst] JSON instead of YAML?

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:27:52 CET 2006

On 1/25/06, James FitzGibbon <jfitzgibbon at primustel.ca> wrote:
> Well, that's not entirely fair.  If you read the Spiffy docs, it is quite
> explicit that this is a caveat of using Spiffy, that it must be loaded
> before base.pm, and provides a workaround:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~ingy/Spiffy-0.29/lib/Spiffy.pm#USING_Spiffy_WITH_bas
> e.pm
>
> I think the issue is that the YAML docs don't make it clear enough that it
> inherits Spiffy's caveats.

I think the larger issue is that for sufficiently complex existing OO
frameworks, the caveats are probably greater than what has been shown
in the Spiffy docs, with the import thing being only the most obvious
one.  That's not really a problem for Spiffy, as if you're going to
build a framework on Spiffy, you'll do it the Spiffy Way, and if your
framework isn't Spiffy, then it isn't.

The problem comes in when there's a standard and relatively simple
module like YAML, that people might be using within the context of a
wide variety of OO frameworks, many of which might be
Spiffy-incompatible, and a new release of YAML comes out that's
Spiffy-ified, breaking many YAML users.

Something like Spiffy doesn't belong in something like YAML, IMHO.

-- Brandon