[Catalyst] [Announce] iusethis.org goes into public beta.

Marcus Ramberg marcus.ramberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 03:07:04 CEST 2006

For the last six months I've been working on a pet project with my designer
friend Arne. We call it iusethis, and it's a website for keeping track of
the apps you use. It's for the mac for now, and it's based on Catalyst and
DBIx::Class. Like any modern web app, it's got rss feeds, and a social
network. The intention behind iusethis was to make a site where it was
easier to find the good apps. We believe that the best people to advice you
on what apps to use, are your friends. You can track what apps your friends
are adopting through subscribing to new apps they adopt, and recommendations
from app neighbours. We don't believe in browsing through 10 sucky apps to
find the good one. We believe in our friends and fellow users, and that our
approach is a lot smarter.

We've used the opportunity to play with lots of ajax goodness to make the
user experience smoother. We don't believe star rating is efficient, so we
use more binary values. Mostly it's stuff like incrementing use count
without page reload, system messages and setting switches.

We also want you to effortlessly find the app you are looking  for. To that
end, we made categorization based on tags, and we also feature a
full-powered free text search engine based on the Xapian engine.

Registration and use is free, and anyone can register applications, upload
icons and screenshots, and register versions for their app. We also feature
a system for claiming apps, so that app authors can maintain their own apps,
if they wish. We also have a comment system with avatar support, and offer
trackback linking to your blog for reviews and other articles related to
apps. Right now, we are running in public beta, but are planning to remove
that label as soon as everything checks out ok.

We also have some plans for new features for this system, for instance, we
want to add support for version checking your apps, so that you can be
notified of updates only for apps you use. There is also a tool for
extracting and uploading icons in the works. We'd also like to expose a
public API, if we can figure out what people want.

Feel free to try it out at http://osx.iusethis.com/ and give us feedback.
We'd love to hear from you :)

--
With regards