[Catalyst] re catinabox -- have you ever actually done this on a non-root server? Re: Catalyst Documentation

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 16:27:50 CEST 2006

I use shared linux webhosting.

I ran `cpan`, upgraded CPAN.pm, and made sure that the following
config values were set:
makepl_arg => "PREFIX=/home/me/local LIB=/home/me/local/lib"
mbuildpl_arg => "--install_base /home/me/local"
prefer_installer => "EUMM"

In my .bash_profile file I set:
PERL5LIB=/home/me/local/lib:/home/me/local/lib/-i686-linux

I then successfully used `cpan` to install Catalyst, DBIx-Class,
SQLite, Template, etc, etc.
I've also successfully installed the same modules on Win32.

Most install problems are not strictly a Catalyst issue, but a general
installing-perl-modules issue, which come up because of the large
number of Catalyst pre-req's.
Just because you start off by typing "install Catalyst" doesn't mean
the errors are caused by Catalyst.
Try it again, and if there's errors, either figure out the culprit and
submit bug reports, or post the error messages here to get help with
figuring out who the culprit is.

In the past half year of being involved with Catalyst and also the
Vanilla/StrawberryPerl project, I've seen a tremendous number of bug
reports and patches fed back to cpan authors, and real progress being
made on cross-platform install issues.

Carl