[Catalyst] setting/getting session data from within tests

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Mon Jun 5 21:31:31 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 21:01:18 +0200, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> I know. But bear in mind that a great number of users out there don't
> even know how to set a browser preference. That's reality. Quite a few
> don't even know how to change the home page. I spent half an hour
> yesterday helping out my mother in law, still using IE and home page
> still set to microsoft/whatever.
>
> Most discussions on these subjects take place between people who are
> technically articulate, but most users aren't.
>
> And it's MUCH easier for most users to change the setting via the
> language via the web page itself than tools->options->whatever.

I'm not saying "don't store it in the session" - do provide a manual
override feature. But keep the default from the headers, not the
IP's country.

> Geography != language is true, but it's not a bad first guess, if
> you're stuck with that. India has about 60 languages, but if you go
> for Hindu, you have a fair chance of being right.

Yes, but typically the users will also have their OS installed with
their preferred locale in place, and most browsers take that value
from the OS unless it's overridden by the browser preferences.

When I was in Finland I was in a library with no SSH, so i went to
my server's squirrelmail interface and got to login in Finnish.

This stuff Just Works less often but *FAR* more accurately than ip
based language selection.

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418