[Catalyst] Project Name

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed May 3 15:55:11 CEST 2006

On 5/3/06, Bryan Roach <opus at b-love.org> wrote:
> I have a little question that's been bothering me. Why is it that the
> name of a Catalyst project is used repeatedly? Many file names and
> folder names include the project name, and every .pm file uses the
> project name one or more times. If I ever want to rename a project,
> it's going to be rather tedious. And if I want to copy a Model (for
> example) from one project to another, I'd have to edit each file to
> update the project name in multiple places. This isn't a huge deal,
> but it would be nice to understand the reasoning behind it.

Not that it really answers your question, but this application name
you're referring to (the Catalyst app name that appears at the root of
just about every class in your application) is really a name for your
codebase more than it is a name for a particular deployment of it (or
in other words, particular site running the code).

Ideally, in situations where one worries about such things, this "app
name" should be more of a project name for your code, and your code
should include provisions for those deploying your code to set a
config variable for the name of the deployment that sets all
user-visible titles and whatnot for that particular site.

-- Brandon