[Catalyst] IDE/editor

Max Afonov max.afonov at mlb.com
Tue Nov 14 21:05:30 GMT 2006

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Exactly.  Somewhat like this:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

We could be slipping off topic here because I was talking about TextMate
not being free as in parking as opposed to Free as in beer. That is not
to say that I do not subscribe anymore to this model of total and
unconditional freedom that Mr. Stallman likes to preach.

The point here is that you can use whatever gets you where you want to
go. If Java-trapped Eclipse is that tool, then be it. What really annoys
me is the fact that you have to pay for a tool that's geared towards OSS
development. Many such OSS developers are barely getting by anyway.
Nobody is forcing them to pay for or even consider using TextMate, but
this is just a weird business model that I don't understand.
> I say forget about TextMate.  emacs isn't as nice looking (arguably),
> but it's tons more functional.  TextMate is really basic, but emacs has
> some very advanced modes.

Emacs and Eclipse, and even vim to a certain degree, are platforms that
can be either used as simple editors, or morphed by the user into
comprehensive development environments. Unfortunately for many, these
platforms are like DIY remote-controlled car kits: assembly is required.
I've stumbled upon something called Eclipse for LAMP, but I don't know
how close that comes to an out-of-the-box kind of deal.