[Catalyst] IDE/editor

Kiki kiki at bsdro.org
Wed Nov 15 00:03:56 GMT 2006

Max Afonov wrote:

> Emacs and Eclipse, and even vim to a certain degree, are platforms
> that can be either used as simple editors, or morphed by the user into
> comprehensive development environments. Unfortunately for many, these
> platforms are like DIY remote-controlled car kits: assembly is
> required. I've stumbled upon something called Eclipse for LAMP, but I
> don't know how close that comes to an out-of-the-box kind of deal.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch :)

In this case, the chances that somebody invested effort in a open-source
(or even freeware) IDE geared towards _your_ specific needs and
expectations (or even Catalyst/Perl-for-Web specific needs and
expectations) are slim to none. So I'd venture to say: some assembly may
always be required. If you want something more than your regular
syntax-highlighting tab-supporting editor, you gotta either learn a
platform (whether it's Eclipse, Emacs, Vim or whatnot) or write your own.

My two cents on editors: deep IDE integration ain't what it's cracked up
to be. A powerful editor (with serious syntax highlight and decent code
folding will do the trick for me. For now, it's vim for me. I've tried
hard, I've tried (X)Emacs, Eclipse+EPIC, jEdit, Komodo, NEdit and even
CodeWright, SetEdit and The Hessling Editor (along with a myriad of
other editors). They're either too slow, too limited or too
idiosyncratic (yes, modal editors are no different) for my taste. vim is
by no means perfect, but it's the best tool I've found so far.

PS. here's a TextEditor wiki where you can knock yourself out in the
search for the perfect editor (aka the developers holy grail):
http://texteditors.org/