[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Nov 17 01:44:43 GMT 2006

* Cory Watson <jheephat at gmail.com> [2006-11-16 14:40]:
> I respectfully suggest that those who criticize his work should
> use their energies to /improve/ his test rather than merely
> dismissing it as worthless. Using his code as a base, couldn't
> one create a test that was more fair?  Then someone would have
> a test that shows results that are more 'real' and give
> potential users more information with which to make a decision.

Sorry, come again?

If I say “I’m afraid this pasta tastes so awful I just can’t eat
it”, would you respond “well at least [the cook] did prepare
something! maybe you should stop mouthing off and do it better”?

The fact that a benchmark does not measure something interesting
stands on its own. There is *no* need for anyone to provide
a better benchmark before they can state that a bad one is bad.
The onus is on the benchmark writer to show that his measurements
are meaningful and useful. It’s called science.

Regards,