[Catalyst] Charting data

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 12:22:11 GMT 2007

I have an existing application which I want to add some basic data
graphing operations to.

The existing code is all fairly basic CRUD like (actually its mainly
R since the CUD is done mostly externally), with a TT view and
DBIx::Class model.

The graphs wanted are of data storage volumes for multiple items over
a period - so either lines, or stacked lines, with several
(potentially 10s) of lines.

My initial inclination would be to have a wrapper URL which generates
pretty much a HTML frame and a IMG tag in it pointing to another cat
URL (with the same parameters passed as to the wrapper) which
generates data into a View based on Chart::Lines.

This means I do most of the DB queries twice (ie once in the wrapper
invocation, and again in the image generation), which appears messy.

I'd love some suggestions as to good alternative methods - I do have
sessions set up, but dumping the graph (or data for it) into the
session store seems a little bizarre.  I have seen a java graphing
applet which would allow me to just generate it in one go with the
graph data done as params within the applet call (the applet did not
appear to be very sophisticated unfortunately).

	Nigel.