[Catalyst] Hats off and some Clarifications.

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Wed Apr 18 16:57:33 GMT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 21:04:22 +0530, Dister Kemp wrote:

> Is this possible with Catalyst? If so to what extent and how?

Look into Instacrud, but our general philosphy here at Catalyst land
is that scaffolding is rarely useful for anything than  "ooh shiney"
or learning how to do it yourself.

In general a database editing interface is not much more than what
you can get with say webmin or cocoamysql and the likes. The moment
you need to put your own application logic, whatever the special
thing your app does, into code scaffolding becomes limiting.

In practice it only takes about a day or two to write a
CRUD interface from the ground up for a medium sized schema,
including everything from a good UI to input validation, proper
transactions on the database and authorization. Scaffolding can only
give you an 80% solution out of the box for these things.

That said, Instacrud and Enzyme provide simple scaffolding that is
more inline with a DUY approach. Come over to the #catalyst channel
on irc.perl.org and the good folks will help with more specific
advice.

>   Also I see references in many Catalyst info pages -
>   which mention about
>   DB handling done via Class::DBI or the latest DBIx:Class.
>   Also other mentions are Catalyst::Enzyme for things
>   like Form Validation.

On a side note, I suggest you avoid Class::DBI.
Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema is a very modern approach to both
managing the tables in SQL (look into the schema deployment things),
for specifying the schema in high level terms very accurately, and
for getting the best ORM Perl has to offer right now, IMHO.

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418