[Catalyst] Hats off and some Clarifications.

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Thu Apr 19 07:26:17 GMT 2007

Yuval Kogman ha scritto:

[snip]

> On a side note, I suggest you avoid Class::DBI.
> Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema is a very modern approach to both
> managing the tables in SQL (look into the schema deployment things),
> for specifying the schema in high level terms very accurately, and
> for getting the best ORM Perl has to offer right now, IMHO.

I got used to (and somewhat liked) Class::DBI before DBIx::Class came
into existence, and found it not so easy to move from CDBI approach to
the DBIC one. I must say the effort to switch has been rewarding,
because DBIC is much more flexible and feature rich (note: I haven't
touched CDBI in a year or so, so it might be possible that it has
evolved significantly since my last use).

For a novice, I'd suggest using DBIC and not even considering CDBI. It's
hard enough to get your mind around an ORM framework, and the two beasts
differ enough to get you a headache when trying to compare them. When
chosing which one to learn, I suggest DBIC because it has a better
conceptual foundation.

Finally, DBIC is well integrated into Cat and the code examples mostly
refer to it. Also, the list seems to me 99% on DBIC, so you'll get more
help about it than about CDBI.

This was "DBIC advocacy on the Cat list", thanks for watching ;-)

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT
Ottotecnica s.r.l.
http://www.ottotecnica.com