[Catalyst] improving usability / doc

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 05:17:24 GMT 2007

On 8/16/07, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:

> Adam Bartosik wrote:
> > How many people decided to take different framework just because
> > catalyst doc still.... sucks?
> "Sucks" is somewhat hurtful to the many contributers, but whatever, I
> see what you mean.
>
> There has been talk of putting the POD on our site and making it look
> nicer (search.cpan.org's navigation sucks).  There has been talk of
> taking good articles from Planet Catalyst and giving them cleanup and a
> permanent home.  There has been talk of putting the Planet Catalyst feed
> on the main site.  There has been talk of completely revamping the
> design.  There has been talk of getting a team of happy wikignomes to
> polish up the wiki.
>
> The recurring theme is that /this is all talk/.
>
> Someone needs to Just Fucking Do It.  Implement the things above, and
> I'll buy you a case of your favorite beer.  If someone commits, I will
> move up the mojomojo migration on my priority list, so we can have some
> decent software running the wiki.
>
> With gnomes to tend the wiki, the upcoming book, prettyified API docs,
> and a front page with more information, I think we'll have the best
> offering of any framework.  Momentum is what we need, and right now
> there is none.  We need someone to commit to getting this stuff done (or
> even starting!) some time before the heat death of the Universe.  So the
> deal is, if you do this stuff, I will give you beer (is $50 reasonable?
> it is to me).
>
> I will help out with anything that doesn't involve HTML or design.  Let
> me know what you need, and I will help you get it.  Others share the
> same sentiment.
>
> Let's do this.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan Rockway

I've been working on this in my free time -- trying to go to a unified look
and feel that we can move forward with, with a full style guide for
contributors, etc.

Here's the mockup that I'm working on:
http://staff.toeat.com/~jshirley/Catalyst/NewSite/

Suggestions welcome, patches more so.  You can grab this work from:
http://dev.catalystframework.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/site-notrac/

We have a ton of content, and no where to put it and no centralized style
yet.

I agree with Jonathan, lets JFDI.

-J

-- =