[Catalyst] Speed up Cat

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 14:45:08 GMT 2007

On 31 Aug 2007, at 13:40, Will Smith wrote:
> I have a Cat app launched and running. Everything is fine until
> lately, it becomes very slow in responding to queries. Sometimes takes
> minutes. I have the latest verison of Cat, running on Linux, Apache
> 2. According to the docs, apache is pretty fast, so I wonder if there
> is anyway to speed up the queries. I have the tables indexed. The
> queries search through about 5 to 10 tables of more than 10 thousand
> records each. And the tables are growing everyday.

Have a look at
   http://www.onemogin.com/blog/554-profile-your-catalystdbixclass-
app-with-querylog.html

which is a blog entry describing a method to instrument your database
queries if you are using Catalyst and DBIx::Class. I've found this
method pretty useful - although once you have the queries that are
taking the time, you often then need to spend time with appropriate
database tools to work out just why the queries are slow - for
PostgreSQL this tends to be running EXPLAIN ANALYZE on those queries.

Also check you are doing appropriate database maintenance (VACUUM,
REINDEX etc) and that any tunable parameters have been correctly fiddled
with.

     Nigel.