[Catalyst] VMware Image

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 2 14:28:16 GMT 2007

On 21 Dec 2006, at 10:26, Rhett Creighton wrote:

> I'm probably going to make a few vmware images for myself to use
> that will
> be on the larger side (more than 300 MB compressed).
>
> To give people an idea of the minimum possible filesize, here is a
> standard install of ubuntu 6.10-server in a 63 MB package:
> http://www.jcinacio.com/stuff/VMware-UbuntuServer-6.10/
>
> The actual extracted size is 365MB.
>
> I just took his image, installed cat-in-a-box, made a sample
> catalyst app,
> ran the server, and used the app from another machine on the local
> network.  Without doing anything tricky, I simply zipped up that
> image and
> it came out to be 96 MB.  If I used strong compression, it came out
> to 76
> MB.  However, I think stronger compression defeats the point of
> this being
> a susposedly easy package to deploy.
>
> I'll see if I can put together a nice ~150MB package.  I don't know
> if the
> catalyst site can host that, or wants to, but I'll send it to whoever
> wants it.

I'd suggest using pimpmycat or a standard cat-install approach rather
than catinabox; catinabox is really designed for compiler-challenged
systems (i.e. windows :) whereas in ubuntu a usable build environment
is one 'apt-get build-essential' away

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for