[Catalyst] Re: Preferred Ajax framework

Victor Igumnov victori at lamer0.com
Wed Jan 10 20:53:28 GMT 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:17 AM, John Napiorkowski wrote:
>

>> --- Victor Igumnov <victori at lamer0.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dojo! It goes beyond just ajax. It encompasses
>>> widgets.
>
>> I was excited about dojo as well but I really found
>> that the widgets loaded quite slowly.  Maybe I am just
>> doing it wrong but (for example) when using the tab
>> widget on IE I'd see all the tab panes for a second or
>> two before the control initialized.  I find that
>> unacceptable.  Again, I'm probably not using it
>> correctly but it's just too hard to use right IMHO.
>>

> They also don't work, even a little, in Safari.
>
> From a purist point of view I'm happy to blame Safari
> for that, but it's pretty much a deal-breaker for any
> website that you want the general public to be able
> to use. I'd love to be able to use some of the neat
> features, but I don't want to have to implement
> two (or more) websites to cope with different browsers.
>
> All the jquery-based plugins I've tried so far seem to
> work fine in all recent browsers that have javascript,
> which trumps the other issues for me right now.

Actually everything I have tried so far *does* work in Safari. Safari
is my primary browser.
Concerning the "slowness" of Dojo you need to turn off Dojo's DOM
parser and push specific Dojo elements into searchIds.
With all that in place, Dojo flies on every browser.

// /static/ is Needed if you place dojo.js and src into your root/
static/  directory
djConfig = { baseScriptUri: "/static/", parseWidgets: false,
searchIds: [] };

<script>djConfig.searchIds.push("box");</script>

This should get you started. And yes, your right Dojo's documentation
blows. Read the code? Javascript isn't hard to understand.