[Catalyst] Re: Preferred Ajax framework

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 21:28:58 GMT 2007

--- Victor Igumnov <victori at lamer0.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
>

> > On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:17 AM, John Napiorkowski
> wrote:

> >> I was excited about dojo as well but I really
> found
> >> that the widgets loaded quite slowly.  Maybe I am
> just
> >> doing it wrong but (for example) when using the
> tab
> >> widget on IE I'd see all the tab panes for a
> second or
> >> two before the control initialized.  I find that
> >> unacceptable.  Again, I'm probably not using it
> >> correctly but it's just too hard to use right
> IMHO.
> >>

> > They also don't work, even a little, in Safari.
> >
> > From a purist point of view I'm happy to blame
> Safari
> > for that, but it's pretty much a deal-breaker for
> any
> > website that you want the general public to be
> able
> > to use. I'd love to be able to use some of the
> neat
> > features, but I don't want to have to implement
> > two (or more) websites to cope with different
> browsers.
> >
> > All the jquery-based plugins I've tried so far
> seem to
> > work fine in all recent browsers that have
> javascript,
> > which trumps the other issues for me right now.
>
> Actually everything I have tried so far *does* work
> in Safari. Safari
> is my primary browser.
> Concerning the "slowness" of Dojo you need to turn
> off Dojo's DOM
> parser and push specific Dojo elements into
> searchIds.
> With all that in place, Dojo flies on every browser.
>
> // /static/ is Needed if you place dojo.js and src
> into your root/
> static/  directory
> djConfig = { baseScriptUri: "/static/",
> parseWidgets: false,
> searchIds: [] };

> <script>djConfig.searchIds.push("box");</script>
>
> This should get you started. And yes, your right
> Dojo's documentation
> blows. Read the code? Javascript isn't hard to
> understand.

This is a good tip, thanks.  Not sure it helps me
right now though, since my typical goal is to have
widgets my end web designers can use with their
existing knowledge.  From that standpoint Jquery and
other CSS selector style toolkits are great.  All they
need to know is to have a particular CSS class name
wrapping some content and it works.  For them it's
very intuitive.  I'm sure as best practices emerge
most of these problems will be solved.  Dojo does have
great scope and completeness, Jquery, despite the
number of plugins, still seems more like a DIY
approach.  If you just need a few widgets and AJAX
style forms, that is fine.  If you want to build out a
serious web application complete with resizable panes,
etc, then you will probably be better off with Dojo or
YUI.  YUI probably has better documentation right now.
 I don't have trouble reading the source for help but
I just sort of feel like I shouldn't need to to get
basic stuff to work, and that is the current trouble I
have with Dojo; although I have to caveat that with
the fact I haven't played with it for about 5 months.