[Catalyst] Shared Host Setup

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Nov 20 17:49:13 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:25:37PM -0800, Mesdaq, Ali wrote:
> So I tired something I been meaning to test out. So I created a vmware
> image of freebsd and created the full path I would have on my shared
> host and downloaded and installed perl to that path. Then I ran cpan
> downloading every module I needed for catalyst using the new perl I just
> built. Then I uploaded that perl directory to my host and ran all my
> scripts with that as the path to perl.
>
> Catalyst looks like its working fine. So far no issues. Can anyone think
> of a reason why this would not be a good alternative setup option on
> shared hosts?

Other than being much, much more effort than local::lib and potentially
vulnerable to library/compiler/etc. versioning issues, no, it seems fine.

I just have better things to do with my life than set up a complete OS
install for a simple shared deployment :)

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consulting and support -
   Technical Director      http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/