[Catalyst] Catalyst::View::Email broken?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:50:59 GMT 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 3:26 PM, Bernhard Graf <catalyst3 at augensalat.de> wrote:

> J. Shirley wrote:
>
> > Hi Bernhard
> >
> > Could you file this as an RT bug?  I'm working on the next version
> > which will also have attachment support and don't want to miss this.
>
> Done.
>
> But thinking about this module brought me to the conclusion, that it
> doesn't buy me anything (besides headaches).
>
> Instead I've put a tiny little send_mail method in MyApp's base class,
> that calls Email::MIME::Creator and Email::Send.
>
> Less code that can break (and actually does) and more elegant to say
>  $self->send_mail($email_mime_object);
> instead of
>  $c->stash->{email} =3D $email_mime_hash;
>  $c->forward('View::Email');
>
> --
> Bernhard Graf

Thanks for the bug!

I definitely see your point about the simpler send_mail method, and I think
for a lot of cases it probably is easier that way.  I really want to tie
into the template rendering process with it, and that was my main impetus
for writing the module in the first place.

Once I can tie into other views to render attachments, I think it will be
worth it (An attachment sourced from a PDF View, for example).  Until then,
it's just slow progression that way.

Thanks for the feedback, though.  If you are just doing a plugin cycle, you
may want to look at Catalyst::Plugin::Email.

-J
-- =

J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...
http://www.toeat.com