[Catalyst] Sessions and Cookies

Ryan Pack rpack at genares.com
Tue Mar 18 14:55:03 GMT 2008

I have a catalyst app that uses Catalyst::Plugin::Session,
Session::State::Cookie, Session::State::URI, and Session::Store::DBIC to
handle sessions.  I didn't write the app but I'm trying to change it's
behavior for new sessions.  Currently when a request is made, the app
looks for a cookie with a valid session.  If one is NOT found it adds
the newly created session id to the URL, which is visible in the
browser.  All subsequent requests made will not have the session id in
the URL because the cookie was retrieved.

My question is, how can I not show the session id in the URL for the
first request?  I don't want to use javascript to redirect once the
cookie is first set because a POST request would screw up some other
stuff we have going on.  I would like to send just the headers to set
the cookie and somehow check to see if it was set properly (cookies not
blocked) and then just send the response without the session id in the
URL.  Looking for any advise on the best way to do this.  I greatly
appreciate it.

Ryan Pack

Programmer

GenaRes Worldwide Reservations