[Catalyst] IMPORTANT: To all Catalyst::Whatever Authors, please read and ACT

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun May 11 07:55:41 BST 2008

* On Sun, May 11 2008, Ashley wrote:
> On May 10, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Kieren Diment wrote:
>> On 11 May 2008, at 10:56, Ashley wrote:
>>
>>> Two or more config examples is nice and kind to users and I think
>>> it's a great best practice to include it (maybe someone would
>>> attach a simple script to dump several formats? If I have time this
>>> weekend, I'll try if no one beats me to it).
>>
>> That on the other hand would be useful (sorry missed it first time).
>> Could you make a CatalystX::ConfigMaker that dumps
>> catalyst_config.pl into $PATH somewhere?  CatalystX::Starter is a
>> small and simple module that shows how to do this.
>
> I'd love to try. I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks for pointing me
> at the starter modules, I hadn't looked at it yet.
>
> <devilsAdvocate type="tangent" for="MST" style="voice:facetious">
> The biggest stumbling block and learning curve with Catalyst is almost
> undeniably DBIC… Maybe we should consider a script that files tickets
> against any documents that reference it going forward. I mean sure
> it's useful but think of all the questions it generates! Why DBIC
> users pollute the Catalyst list all the time and some of the devs even
> cross post.
> </devilsAdvocate>

You seem upset that we're ditching YAML.  Don't be.  The defaults are
designed for people that don't know how to change the defaults.  You
already know how to use YAML, so use it and forget what everyone else
thinks.  Config::General is not nearly as good as YAML, but it is harder
to completely fuck up; that's why we're changing to it.  The idea is to
make it easier to not care for people who don't care :)

Personally, I'll be sticking with YAML.  I will continue to recommend it
for people who are willing to learn the syntax.  People complain that
Perl is "too hard" all the time, but it's only hard because they don't
know it.  For those of us that know it, the things that make Perl hard
to learn make it easier to use.  YAML is the same way.  If you are
willing to accept that it has syntax, it will make your life easier.  If
you religiously believe that configuration files don't have syntax, then
it's not the syntax for you :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway