[Catalyst] DBIx makes Catalyst startup painfully slow

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Tue Feb 10 10:53:32 GMT 2009

Hello people,

I'm working on a rather big CRM system using Catalyst with all bells and
whistles. For database, we use DBIx::Class::Schema and this drives me
crazy...

Apart from Catalyst being really resource hungry, the startup time for
the application (testserver oder fastcgi) is ok, about 4 seconds on my
development-system (CentOS on VMware Fusion on MacOS X Leopard, Core 2
Duo 2.2GHz). It's not perfect for developing, but it is completely
acceptable.
But as soon as I activate my DBIx schemas, the startup time multiplies:
12 seconds with my first (and most important) schema, 25 seconds when
using all schemas. This doesn't sound so long, but over a working day of
development it becomes _really_ annoying, as often we have to restart
the testserver many times to test small changes and fixes (as even our
10-years-experience-i-love-perl-so-much-gurus in company need
trial&error to solve trivial problems of Perls strangeness). Remember
this is on a completely idle machine with a fairly fast CPU (I'm using
my private MacBook Pro), on some other development systems here is takes
up to 1.5 minutes, so the devs are waiting up to two hours a day just
for server startup.

Is this normal? Is there _any_ way to speed things up? Does anyone know,
what DBIx even does the whole time
 (probing the database or something)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and regards,
Thomas Weber

(PS: sorry for sounding so nerved, doing fast changes while incredible
impatient customers are waiting at the phone are just like hell)
(PPS: sorry for my half-baked english, used to write german)