[Catalyst] RFC: The paradox of choice in web development

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:38:39 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Matt Pitts <mpitts at a3its.com> wrote:
> Anyway, this is a long story, I'll stop ranting. My point was just that
> there is no easy way to "just run" the Cat app in Windows.

I understand the idea of developing a Catalyst app on Windows and
running it on a *nix web server. This is what I currently do, and it's
easy to "just run" an app on Windows with the last Strawberry Perl
(5.10.0.4, released last month) and the internal myapp_server.pl.
After installing Strawberry, `cpan Catalyst::Runtime` and `cpan
Catalyst::Devel` completed successfully, without any intervention.
This is markedly different from alpha version of Strawberry, when
random things would crash in various ways.

Strawberry won me and I've just ditched ActiveState perl, because
indeed, you have various problems with SSL modules, ActiveState's PPM
repository is way out of date, and it doesn't come with the gcc
binaries to compile modules off CPAN. The latest Strawberry, I'm
surprised but happy to say, does that flawlessly.

Dan