[Catalyst] Requirements for Catalyst

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:01:55 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Neo [GC] <neo at gothic-chat.de> wrote:

> Octavian R=E2=BAni=FE=E3 schrieb:
>
>> Could be 256 MB of memory enough? Or 512? Or I would need 1 GB or more if
>> I would like to run a Catalyst app?
>>
>> That Catalyst app would use a MySQL database, and it would have around 1=
00
>> tables, and 20 - 30 Catalyst controllers.
>>
> Memory requirements depend heavily on your application. A fresh installed
> catalyst with the tutorial project doesn't take much, but as the app beco=
mes
> bigger, the memory footprint literally explodes (again, depends on your
> application how much).
> As I wroted some days ago, our main application requires abount 350 megs
> right after starting and goes up to about 850 or 900 MB after some hours
> (mostly if any error occured, Cat seems to have some memory leaks).
> Currently our live projects are running on a machine with 16GB RAM,
> development is on VMWare-instances with 512 megs (below it doesn't make a=
ny
> fun).

As other people mentioned, you likely have a memory leak or some other
problem.  I have a much larger application than yours, and my memory usage
doesn't grow.

Please don't spread FUD saying that Catalyst "literally explodes".  It does
if you poorly write your application and don't check for memory leaks.

There are tools for this, such as unit tests, memory cycle tests, etc.

I have a fairly intensely used application on a Linode540 (512MB ram) and
never have an issue.  This is with 91 schema classes, 2 external models and
31 controllers.  It currently sits at 70MB of usage and after going through
every action path and caching, it will climb to about 92MB.

If your application requires 350MB to start, you have done something silly.
This is not normal, in the dozen or so Catalyst applications I've put into
production, and under user load, I've never seen that.

-J