[Catalyst] How to handle development vs production, required vs recommended module dependencies

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:24:14 GMT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Daniel Austin<daniel.austin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm curious how other Catalyst developers are managing their CPAN
> module dependencies.
>
> I see our current application as having four types of module dependencies:
>
> * Modules that are required for the application to run *at all*. These
> are specified using "requires" statements in Makefile.PL (and also,
> the "all from" statement which points at the main Catalyst application
> class).
>
> * Modules that are not required, but if present, add additional
> functionality. These are specified using "recommends" statements in
> the Makefile.PL.

I am against "additional functionalities" and "recommended"
dependencies.   If this additional functionality is really useful -
then you can expect someone will write something depending on it and
at that point the whole automatic install idea breaks down.

See also: http://www.mail-archive.com/module-authors@perl.org/msg07485.html

Cheers,

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak