[Catalyst] Which C::View::PDF should I use?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 06:41:59 GMT 2010

To: "The elegant MVC web framework" <catalyst at lists.scsys.co.uk>
 Hi Charlie,

>> Thanks for that. I've looked at various html 2 pdf tools (I used html2ps
>> for
>> a project about 10 years ago). But lack of even basic CSS support makes
>> the
>> them useless for creating "pretty" PDFs.
>>
>> In reality, this project doesn't really need PDF output (HTML would work
>> fine), but $customer says it's a requirement, so I've got to make it work
>> for creating "pretty" PDFs.
>>

> I've found that a simple way to put values into a PDF is to use PDF
> forms - position the form fields in the appropriate location in the
> template doc, and to generate the output update the form fields and
> write a 'flattened' version of the doc. This means you can use visual
> tools to layout the doc, and your code doesn't need to know anything
> except the field names.

Do you know if there is a way of creating PDFs in the same way the HTML
templates are created, by just putting a variable name in a certain place
and render that pdf file by replacing that variable with its value? (Without
needing to specify the position where those variables will be placed)

Thanks.

Octavian

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4923 (20100307) __________

http://www.eset.com