[Catalyst] Which C::View::PDF should I use?

Matthias Dietrich mdietrich at cpan.org
Sun Mar 14 10:04:04 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 08.03.2010 um 09:27 schrieb Octavian Rasnita:

> On 8/03/10 at 8:41 AM +0200, Octavian Rasnita
> <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you know if there is a way of creating PDFs in the same way the HTML templates are created, by just putting a variable name in a certain place and render that pdf file by replacing that variable with its value? (Without needing to specify the position where those variables will be placed)
>
> Unfortunately I don't know if it can help me, because I am blind and I can't see if the manually configured positions are displayed correctly. That's why I was hoping that there is a solution that works like the common TT templating system.

there is a commercial solution called PDFlib PPS ( http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib-family/pps/ ) which may help you.  With the PPS and the "PDFlib block plugin" you can define text and/or image areas in your PDF within Acrobat Professional.  You can drag them everywhere in the PDF and set a name for each.  In your Perl code you just write text or place an image into such a named area easliy.

I used the PDFlib in a previous job and it worked really nice and had lots of features!  The bad thing is that it is a bit expensive (EUR 2390 / USD 3345) and a license is limited to one server/cpu.  But you can download, develop and test the PDFlib with the PPS addon for free if you can accept having a stamp on each PDF you produce.

Regards,
  matt

--
rainboxx Software Engineering
Matthias Dietrich, Freelancer

rainboxx                  |  Mobil: +49  151 / 50 60 78 64
Königsallee 43            |  Phone: +49 7141 / 2  39 14 71
71638 Ludwigsburg         |  WWW  :  http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html