[Catalyst] Has anyone read the book "Catalyst 5.8 : The Perl MVCFramework" yet?

David Schmidt davewood at gmx.at
Tue Oct 26 07:36:05 GMT 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO the dispatching is a very important chapter for a web framework,
> especially for Catalyst that has so many things to offer in this field.
>
> And another important thing is to show how Catalyst works alone, without an
> ORM, without a templating system, without a form processor, with the warning
> that this not the right way to do it, but it is very important for the
> beginners to see which are the things that depend on Catalyst and which are
> those that depend on the ORM or templating system.
>
> And another important thing is to use a lot of warnings that "This is not
> the right way" when DBIC code is used in the controllers for beeing easier
> to understand by the beginners, but to let them know that that way of doing
> things should be avoided.
>
> And it should be very helpful to show examples of models that get data and
> save data, but models that don't use an ORM like DBIC.
>
> --Octavian
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kieren Diment" <diment at gmail.com>

I want to toss in my experience with the books. "The Definitive Guide
to Catalyst" (Apress) is the one I'd recommend. I read it once when I
was fairly new to Catalyst and then I didn't consider it a perfect
beginners book.

I couldn't grasp many of the concepts explained there. But with time
spent working with Catalyst you notive how parts of what you've read
are stuck in your head and you return to the book to reread chapters.
Some things I wouldn't have understood if they hadn't been explained
before in #catalyst

Lately i've read the book again and this time everything made sense.
In summary, if you want to learn Catalyst, buy this book, read the
Online Tutorial. Build some applications, read the book again. Hang
out in #catalyst. ... and eventually you will get the hang of it.