[Catalyst] Catalyst Advent Calendar

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 22:02:43 GMT 2011

From: "Devin Austin" <devin.austin at gmail.com>
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM, will trillich<will.trillich at serensoft.com>
wrote:
> Coming up with good articles isn't easy! Documentation is the toughest
> part
> of writing code.
>
> Myself, I've been mulling, since Nov 3, how to
> make
> http://search.cpan.org/~mstrout/Catalyst-View-TT-0.37/lib/Catalyst/View/TT.pm#expose_methods
> resonate
> better with newbies like me, and I haven't come up with anything better
> than
> what's already there. :( Argh!
>
> I do appreciate the neat articles that talk about Facebook API's and
> Google
> API's and other advanced stuff, but those often seem a bit esoteric and
> beyond the daily grind of what we're developing. So it's also good to keep
> the newbies in mind. I think if the advent series could showcase a couple
> of
> basic articles (maybe even repackaging email threads?) it'd be great!

I think there may be helpful some articles about how to deploy Catalyst apps
on the cloud (with examples of the cloud providers that can handle Catalyst
apps).

You know... ActiveState, that company that was targetting the Perl
developers so much in the past, offers a cloud service, but not only that
their email announcement start the list of supported languages with Python
now, but it continues with Java and PHP without even saying something about
Perl. Perl is included in "... and others", and I guess they may be doing
that because there are too few developers that need Perl support.

They offer a few basic examples of Perl programs that can run on their
platform, but it could be interesting to find how other more complicated
things can be done, if they can be done, or to know at least that the cloud
can be used only for simple apps (and in this case it could be helpful a
kind of tutorial for deployment on some recommended VPSs).

Catalyst grew very much, and now there are more options for doing similar
things. It would be helpful a kind of "best practices", or at least a
comparison between similar modules used for form processing, for using
different ORMS, sending email, I18N, etc and even for the recommended web
servers that can be used on Unix or Windows.
If someone used more similar modules and have enough free time, I think
these could be helpful.

Octavian