[Catalyst] Sending Email from Page?

Stuart Watt swatt at infobal.com
Tue Mar 22 14:15:00 GMT 2011

On 22/03/2011 9:38 AM, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> On 3/22/2011 7:44 AM, Octavian Rasnita
> octavian.rasnita-at-ssifbroker.ro |Catalyst/Allow to home| wrote:
>>    Another advantage of using a model versus creating the object and
>> using a mailer directly is that maybe after a certain time will
>> appear a much better mailer than Mail::Builder::Simple, and you may
>> want to switch to the new mailer. In that case you will need to make
>> some changes in a single model, and not in every controller.
>>
> That is an argument for abstracting and encapsulating, not for using a
> Model per se.
>
> The module I'm using already wraps a module with abstracts different
> kinds of mailers, so there comes a point where I have to say enough is
> enough.

Is the limitation just in the Catalyst detection of components, and its
use of set search packages. I guess you could write a plugin to modify
the $c->locate_components handling to search in ::Component as well as
::Model, ::View, etc. Then you could incorporate any additional
component, without being bound to call it a model or a view or a
controller. Personally, I think that could be a good thing, as there is
a definite need for components which may not be best shoehorned into a
model. I have a write-only logging component which I have called a model
as it is backed by a database, but it probably isn't really a model, and
I'd happily update in this way.

All the best
Stuart