[Catalyst] using perldoc on VM

John Deighan john.deighan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 16:08:44 GMT 2012

It is, in fact, a Debian linux system. That's not a specific system I'm
familiar with. And I did try following the instructions. It said that I
needed to install perl-doc, so I tried the obvious:

	install perl-doc

which, of course, did not work. I knew nothing about apt-get and
shouldn't be expected to. Now, here's more bad news. I tried using
apt-get and here's what I got back:

root at catalyst:/home/catalyst/MyApp# apt-get install perl-doc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package perl-doc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
   perl

E: Package 'perl-doc' has no installation candidate

Not only is it telling me that there is no perl-doc package to install
(contrary to the message I receive when trying to actually use perldoc),
it seems to be telling me that the 'perl' package should take care of
it. That's exactly what I'd expect, but perl is pre-installed on this VM
and yet perldoc doesn't work. Rather unfortunate. Anyway, I can get any
documentation I need by searching the web (on my Windows laptop), so
it's not critical, just annoying.