[Catalyst] Backlog for proposed changes in next Catalyst release

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Mar 5 15:42:38 GMT 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bill, I think there's general agreement that the plugin is stable enough
> and right enough that it should represent core behavior.  Although one of
> Catalyst's strengths has been to be un-opinionated and leave stuff to
> external distributions when possible, I think this does fall under the 'a=
ll
> good apps should work this way'.  I've tentatively pegged it for the March
> Catalyst release, since it seems pretty straightforward, at least for now.
>  If you think you can fit it in (or talk your boss/clients/whatever into
> paying for your time) please give a shout out.  It would be great to see
> more people get to know Catalyst internals a bit, otherwise I don't really
> see how we are going to be able to move the platform forward.

The month of May is more likely for me, unfortunately.

I was thinking of turning the plugin into a Role and then consuming if the
plugin was not already listed or if a config option to disable was not set.
 That is, on by default but can be disabled.   Is that in line with what
you were thinking?

Ha!  I was looking at the code just now and saw a comment that included
this URL:

http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/msg02350.html

I guess I've thought about this before....

> I wonder what percent of Catalyst apps make use of that plugin.
>
>  Not sure, but I think the play-perl ticket has a good way to not break
> most people's code
>

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley at hank.org