[Catalyst] Using the Catalyst Makefile to install

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Mar 9 01:45:49 GMT 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Alejandro Imass
<alejandro.imass at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for your valuable insight.
>
> We've also looked at the PAR route. Up until now we've always
> installed manually and only used the Makefile to keep track of
> dependencies and easier installs of them, but we've never used it to
> install the app as such. We are currently deploying a beautiful code
> and we wanted to do it end-to-end including the make install. We're
> going to experiment with this first and then analyze all other
> options.

Just to add a bit:

As you know, Catalyst is like any other Perl module.  So, we deploy our
Catalyst apps to an internal "DarkPAN" along with all our other internal
modules.

What that means is on a new machine (with a few environment variables set)
you can type:

   cpanm "Our::Catalyst::App"

and it an all its dependencies are installed.  So, that Makefile actually
comes in pretty handy.

(And since we use Dist::Zilla, releasing to our internal CPAN is just "dzil
release".  So, that's pretty slick.)

We then build RPMs from these modules and that's what is used for
deployment.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org