[CiderWebmail] How to configure session store (or ciderwebmail in general)

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Sat Sep 7 08:51:11 GMT 2013

On Friday 06 September 2013 17:01:32 Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Ok, now you got me really confused. I thought you are one of
> Ciderwebmail's authors - why do you need strace to figure out where it
> finds its configuration file?

CiderWebmail uses the Catalyst framework http://www.catalystframework.org
Things like reading the configuration file and supporting different
configuration formats is done by this framework and its plugins
https://metacpan.org/module/Catalyst::Plugin::ConfigLoader to be precise.

I've been using Catalyst in all our web applications in private and at work
for 8 years now. But I actually never had the need to do a make install. We
run all our applications directly from source repository checkouts. When doing
that, the application looks for configuration files in the top level directory
of the checkout.

> No offense meant, but it's making me a bit worried if not even the
> program's authors know how to configure it without resorting to
> reverse-engineering...

I could have just as easily looked at the ConfigLoader source code. strace was
just quicker and a good way to ensure that I was not missing something at half
past 8 in the evening.

Btw. thank you for bearing with us. You give us very valuable feedback that
will allow us to make things much smoother for future users. Plenty of work to
do but it will be worth it :)

Stefan