[Dbix-class] Re: Catching DBI errors, without eval?

Richard Jolly richardjolly at mac.com
Tue Nov 14 08:34:29 GMT 2006

On 13 Nov 2006, at 15:44, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 07:25:58PM -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>>>
>>> I've added cascade_delete => 0 to all the has_many() declarations.
>>> Shouldn't that switch this off?
>>>
>> It should, but to be honest, I've never had good luck with those two
>> flags. Somewhere along the line, it gets lost in DBI and only some
>> strange incantations of local have ever fixed it for me.
>>
>> What version of DBI are you using?
>>

> DBI version 1.52.
>
> Actually looks like I just need to get up to speed on recent
> perlesquims.  Learning about exception handling for instance :).

I thought that the chapter on exceptions in PBP was the best part of
the book. I'd recommend it if you are looking to move away from the
'return false' idiom. It gives a very clear and convincing discussion
of when to use exceptions, and a decent discussion of the techniques
available.

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlbp/

Richard