[Dbix-class] Found it: How do I set disable_sth_caching?

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 13:26:05 GMT 2006

On 11/14/06, Louis Erickson <lerickson at rdwarf.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Louis Erickson wrote:
>
> > I have a need to avoid prepare_cached().  I found the disable_sth_caching
> > option in the manual.
> <snip>
> > Can someone point out what I'm missing?
>
> Here's what I didn't notice: I was looking at the wrong version of the
> manual.  I'm running the release, not the developer's version.
>
> Is there any estimate on when this might be released, or should I just
> move to the developer's version and get on with my life?

The dev version really is a dev version, its not recommended that you
use it unless you're really familiar with DBIC and on IRC all the time
and willing to fix things in it and send us patches, etc.

As Matt said, we'd be really curious as to why you need sth caching
disabled.  I've got one known use-case for disable_sth_caching that
involves PostgreSQL table inheritance, but I haven't heard of any
others that are really good.

We've also been discussing adding Tie::Cache::LRU to the sth cache in
the dev version to limit the otherwise potentially boundless growth of
the cache as well in some cases.  This may bear on what you're doing
as well.

-- Brandon