[Dbix-class] inserting utf8 data into varchar columns for a postgres utf8 database

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 02:18:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm having trouble inserting data that has some utf8
characters mixed in.  I am using a postgres 8.1x
database and the database was created with utf8
option.

The error I get is:

INSERT INTO ... execute failed: ERROR invalid byte
sequence for encoding "UTF8".

The value it's failing on is "Bjørn Stabell".

I looked at the DBIx::Class::UTF8Columns component but
I wasn't sure how that could help me or if it could
help me.

I'm running this under Catalyst and thought I was
doing utf8 correctly, based on the (unfortunately few)
examples I could find.

I'm sure this is something simple I should do but
google is not being kind to my inquiries.  How have
the rest of you been dealing with this?

Thanks!
John Napiorkowski