[Dbix-class] RFC: host for new m-l for a DBMS module

Fri Jan 19 06:19:31 GMT 2007

Hello,

This email concerns an unreleased new Perl DBMS
module/framework/engine that has separate Perl 5 and Perl 6 versions;
the Perl 5 version is named QDRDBMS, and serves as a prototype for
the Perl 6 version, which will have a different name, though the Perl
5 version is expected to be used soon in production for several
years.  This is a rewritten successor to my "Rosetta" project, whose
name won't be used anymore.

QDRDBMS has not yet been released on CPAN, and I don't intend to put
it there until it is complete enough to support a simple working
demo, though I hope that will happen some time in February.
Meanwhile, its various pieces can be seen at
http://darrenduncan.net/QDRDBMS/ as a work in progress.

QDRDBMS is a self-contained fully-featured RDBMS implemented in Perl,
a fact  which is strongly emphasized.  (FYI, see also Genezzo on
CPAN.)  But it has swappable engines (as DBI has swappable drivers),
and with an appropriate engine substitution, the QDRDBMS API can
alternately be used as a front for some other DBMS, such as what DBI
and its wrappers do, and its API can be targeted by other wrappers.
Or its query language / AST can used as an interchange language.

QDRDBMS is not in managed version control yet, though I do manually
make daily archives ... I plan to actually move it into version
control a few days before the first CPAN release, where it would be
subsequently maintained.  Most likely, the version control system I
will use is that which Rosetta is currently in, which is the
utsl.gen.nz SVN server graciously provided by Sam Vilain.

My main reason for writing this email is that I would like to have a
reliable email discussion list setup for developers/users of QDRDBMS
prior to the first CPAN release, so I can refer to it in my
documentation as a place where to get help or make suggestions, and
so discussion among co-developers can be centered there rather than
being divided up among a variety of other mailing lists.  This list
will be specific to the Perl 5 version, not the Perl 6 one (though
they would crossover at times).

I would prefer to use a developer-focused server as is common already
in the Perl community, and not use a general purpose server like
Yahoo or Google.  From what I have seen with existing database or
Perl related lists, they tend to be either at perl.org, or at
sourceforge, or at an owner-specific domain.  While in the long term
I will probably use an owner-specific domain (likely named after
whatever the Perl 6 version will be called), during the first several
years I can't do that.

I would like suggestions to where I may be best to apply for a
mailing list at an existing managed host.

Currently, a perl.org address looks the most attractive to me, as
that is where lists about DBI and Perl 6 are, and they have a lot of
other lists besides.  Since I have no intention of hosting my project
at Sourceforge, I don't know if it possible to get a mailing list
with them in isolation from a project, or maybe that isn't actually a
problem with using them.

Ideally, people would be able to view an archive of all list posts on
the web, some how, and that it would be easy enough to transfer all
the historical posts, with original email headers to a new host later
if desired.

Any feedback as to where or who I should best ask for a list host, or
offers for said, are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

-- Darren Duncan

P.S.  I'll also want to setup a designated IRC channel for the
project also, though I anticipate that those will be trivial in
comparison, and I can concern myself with it later.  At least both
freenode and perl.org seem to be setup that you can go to any channel
name and the channel will just exist while people are there.