[Dbix-class] Help with Titanic Number of Inserts

Shane McEwan linenoise at virtualdoughnutland.com
Wed Jan 24 02:10:06 GMT 2007

Wow! And I thought my 30 years and 960,000,000 rows worth of
meteorological data was a pain in the ass! Thankfully I only need to do
60 inserts per minute so I used raw SQL for the bulk import of
historical data and then DBIx::Class for the live data.

If you're committed to using DBIx::Class for the inserts then you'll
probably have to split your inserts across multiple machines. 30 insert
processes using transactions would just about keep up with the daily
amount of data.

I'd also be interested to know how quick your SELECTs run with that sort
of data quantities. I know mine are horribly slow if I try to do
anything other than very basic SELECT statements. However that's more an
issue with MySQL and (more likely) my (non-existent) database design
skills.

Good luck!

--
         Shane McEwan - Bureau of Meteorology - Cape Grim BAPS
         Don't anthropomorphise computers, they don't like it!