[Dbix-class] memcached

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Wed Jan 24 22:10:08 GMT 2007

Ash Berlin wrote:
> Jim Spath wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to properly use
>> memcached (http://www.danga.com/memcached/) with DBIx::Class.
>>
>> When one tries to store a resultset in memcached, you get the error
>> "Can't store CODE items", which makes sense.
>>
>> It seems like I really only have one choice, which is to create a
>> string/arrayref/hashref of the data returned from the resultset before
>> storing it in memcached and using it in my code.  But that feels a
>> little ugly to me.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> - Jim
>>
>> PS - I'm running running both DBIx::Class and Cache::Memcached under
>> Catalyst, if it matters.
>
> IIRC the CODE segment it is refereeing to is in fact the dbh deep down
> in storage.
>
> In the -current branch (which is due for release soon) we completely
> refactored how objects and result sets keep hold of their
> ResultSource's. Instead of storing a direct reference to a ResultSource,
> they now store a tuple of (source_name,schema)
>
> This has the added benefit that you can store only the source_name when
> you put an RS into memcached, and re-attach it to the schema when you
> read it out.
>
> <http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/trac/bast/browser/branches/DBIx-Class-current/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSourceHandle.pm>
>

> The above file has freeze and thaw hooks for Storable, but bear in mind
> that the schema is not automatically reattached (couldn't work out a
> good way of doing it) so you'd have to come up with a way of expressing
> it or just do something hacky like:
>
> $newly_thawed_obj->_source_handle->schema($schema);
>
> But please don't do that, cos it will break horribly in all kinds of cases.
>
> </incoherent ramblings>
>
> Ash

Thanks Ash,

Sounds interesting.

I have actually had some success with running search() calls in list
context and storing the returned array of row objects in memcached.

However, I am worried about the memory requirements of storing an array
of objects in memcached when all I need is an array of hash references.

Is there and easy way to return just the data from DBIx::Class or am I
stuck with having objects returned?

- Jim