[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class or others for procedural backend

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Oct 6 00:55:11 BST 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 02:11:07PM -0700, Christopher Greenwood wrote:
> I've been using dbix::class for a few projects and its great for simple
> CRUD but now I'm working on migrating a piece of our ERP system into a
> web based platform and the backend is oracle where a lot of the CRUD and
> data validation is written in PLSQL.  What's the best module out there
> for the ORM layer in this instance or am I stuck with creating complex
> classes in DBIx::Class?  Appreciate any feedback.

DBIx::Class is designed from te ground up to let you use the full power of
your database.

This includes complex reporting queries that would have to be views in any
other perl ORM.

This also includes calling stored procedures. We gained DB2 on AS/400 support
because somebody was using that with a DB that was 99% sprocs and it worked
for him.

Have a read through the cookbook, then if you still feel you're "stuck with
creating complex classes" we'll be happy to help you make it simpler.

And remember the golden rule: willingness to supply failing tests and/or
documentation patches buys you a -lot- of stupid question credits.