[Dbix-class] How I hate (some) DBAs

Ian dbix-class at iandocherty.com
Mon Aug 3 06:59:16 GMT 2009

Jon
I don't think the DBAs concern is about the overhead of DBIC, but the
efficiency of the database calls. i.e he wants to ensure that the SQL is
optimised and indexed correctly. He does not believe he can do that when
DBIC is generating the SQL because he 'has no visibility' of the code.

IMO he is doing premature optimisation in that the database is very
small in Oracle terms and he can always be given sight of the actual SQL
queries generated.

I suppose next he will say we can't use a high level language because he
can't be sure that optimising compilers generate absolutely the most
efficient machine code!

Regards
Ian